Middle School General Music Curriculum
- Sing songs in unison with others.
- Play simple rhythms, melodies, and chords on
melodic, and harmonic classroom instruments accurately and independently.
- Play independent instrumental parts confidently while other students sing or play contrasting parts.
- Demonstrate skill in matching tone quality, listening to others, balancing and blending while performing in groups.
- Play with expression.
- Perform original music by reading notation.
- Write and read simple rhythms with whole, dotted half, half, quarter, and eighth notes and rests in 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4 meters.
- Explain and apply the following symbols: meter/time signature, repeat sign, sharp, flat, piano, crescendo, forte, decrescendo.
- Identify the names of notes on the treble clef.
- Notate music while composing short musical pieces.
- Identify and discriminate between the elements of
musical composition: rhythm,
melody, harmony, form, expression.
- Listen to music, explore the purpose and expression
and composers of a variety of musical styles.
- Create short pieces demonstrating the appropriate
application of rhythm, melody,
harmony, and expression and form.
- Use correct vocabulary associated with the elements
- Discuss elements of
music based upon teacher defined criteria.
- Understand music in contexts by learning how all
musical elements are present in music, regardless of
the music's style, origin, or when it was written.